Choosing Invisalign at Lamparski Orthodontics to align your bite and straighten your smile is a great investment into your oral health. Your Invisalign aligners are made from a clear, thermoplastic material that is custom made to fit your teeth. Unlike conventional braces, Invisalign aligners are removable. More importantly, the clear thermoplastic material makes the aligners invisible, which is ideal if the thought of metal braces and elastics make you self-conscious. To keep your aligners in top shape, proper handling and care of your Invisalign aligners is important. Follow these simple Invisalign care tips to ensure your aligners look great and work correctly:
- Do not eat or drink hot beverages while wearing aligners. It’s a good idea to get in the practice of removing the aligners before eating and drinking. Because the aligners are made of plastic resin, heat can distort and damage them. Also, eating while wearing them will cause sugar and other food particles to stay on your teeth, which contributes to plaque and tooth decay.
- Clean the aligner trays regularly. Invisalign aligners are exposed to the same bacteria and plaque that your mouth is, so you need to clean them as regularly as you clean your teeth. However, avoid cleaning them with harsh chemicals. We recommend using a cleaning kit or some other type of specific solution. When it comes to cleaning your Invisalign aligners, carefully follow the instructions given by Dr. Lamparski.
- Store aligners in a cool, dry, safe place. When you’re not wearing your aligners, store them in the case provided by our office. If you don’t use the case, they can easily be lost. Keeping them out of reach of small children and pets is also a good idea. The last thing you want is for Fido to think your Invisalign aligners are his new chew toys.
- Don’t chew gum while wearing aligners. There’s one thing that conventional braces and Invisalign aligners have in common: chewing gum damages them. Because your aligners are removable, simply take them out if you choose to chew gum!
- Don’t soak aligners in mouthwash. Many popular mouthwashes contain a colored pigment. It’s possible that soaking Invisalign aligners in mouthwash will tint or stain them.
Need to ask Dr. Lamparski for more tips and tricks at your next appointment? Contact us at (724) 224-8288. We can’t wait to hear from you!